What's in my brain today: The Leola story

Hi everyone! I’m Leola Vanderbeck, and I’m majoring in Business Administration. I picked business because it gives me a lot of options. I’m really interested in real estate and hope to get my real estate license and eventually start my own business. Right now, I work for a real estate company, so I’m learning about the industry while figuring out my future plans. I also work as an event planner at school, which is great because I enjoy organizing events and working with people. I chose LBCC since it’s affordable, close to home, and lets me work while I study, which I really value. I’m curious about how media shapes the way we think and how we see ourselves and others. There’s so much information on social media every day, and it’s easy to be influenced without noticing. I also wonder why some things go viral and how people can see the same story but come away with totally different ideas. Outside of school, I have lots of hobbies! I like true crime, being outdoors, and taking spontaneous trips. I love traveling, trying new foods, and going to things like carnivals or movies. I also paint, do crafts, and bake. I’m always up for trying something new, whether it’s visiting a new place or picking up another hobby.

My three main sources of information are Instagram, YouTube, and Google. Instagram is usually where I first hear about something because it shows up on my feed or someone shares it. I use YouTube when I want something explained in more detail, especially when it comes to topics, I’m curious about. Google is where I can look into something further and see what different sources are saying.
Out of those three, I usually trust the articles I find through Google more, but it still depends on where the article comes from. With YouTube and Instagram, I’m more cautious because anyone can post something and make it sound convincing. I try to pay attention to who’s posting and whether they actually have evidence for what they’re saying. Just because something has a lot of views or likes doesn’t mean it’s true.
I’m semi-concerned about misinformation, especially with AI and deepfakes making things look real when they aren’t. Sometimes I’ll see something, and my first thought is, Wait, is that actually real? If something is surprising or important, I'll do a double-check and Google it to see what's actually going on. Before sharing it, I try to make sure there’s more behind it than just one post. I don’t want to pass along something false just because it sounded believable and add to the confusion.
​

Comments